- For UCEED & B. Des Seat Allocation related inquiries only:
- Address:Chairman, JEE (Advance),UCEED-CEED 2021, IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai – 400 076
- Phone : +91-22-2576-4063/ 9093/ 9094
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.uceed.iitb.ac.in
- For all other information related to the B. Des programmes such as curriculum, course structure, facilities etc., at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, and IIITDM Jabalpur or general information related to the institutes, please contact the respective department or institute.
Admissions to the Bachelor of Design (BDes) programmes at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, and IIITDM Jabalpur are done through the Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design (UCEED). Only those students who have passed Class XII (or equivalent) in 2020 in all subjects, or are appearing in 2021, in ANY STREAM (Science, Commerce, or Arts & Humanities), are eligible to appear for UCEED 2021.
Part 1 of this brochure provides information related to UCEED 2021, and Part 2 provides information related to the subsequent joint seat allocation for BDes admissions in the four participating institutes for the Academic Year 2021–2022.
|Start date for Online Registration||September 09, 2020|
|Last date for Online Registration with regular fee||October 10, 2020|
|Last date for Online Registration with late fee||October 17, 2020|
|Start date for Admit Card downloading||January 01, 2021 onwards|
|UCEED 2021 Examination||Sunday January 17, 2021 |
09:00 am to 12:00 pm
|Release of Draft Answer Key for Part-A||January 21, 2021|
|Last date for sending Comments about Draft Answer Key||January 24, 2021, 5:00 PM|
|Release of Final Answer Key for Part-A, Average and Std Deviation||January 31, 2021|
|Declaration of result||March 10, 2021|
|Start date for Score Card downloading||March 10, 2021|
Part 1 UCEED 2021
UCEED 2021 will be conducted by Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, under the guidance of the UCEED-CEED Implementation Committee 2021 (henceforth referred as the UCI Committee ).
UCEED 2021 is open to all nationals (Indian/Foreign). Candidates seeking admission to the Bachelor Degree programme in Design (BDes) at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB), Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG), Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad (IITH), and Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing Jabalpur (IIITDMJ) must appear in UCEED 2021.
Candidates should note that the mere appearance in UCEED 2021 or being in the rank list neither guarantees nor provides any automatic entitlement to admission to BDes programs of the participating institutes. UCEED qualified candidates will have to apply separately for BDes admissions as per the prescribed procedure described in Part 2 of this Information Brochure, through the joint seat allocation process.
UCEED 2021 score is valid only for admission to the programmes in the academic year 2021-2022.
In all matters concerning UCEED 2021, and/or the interpretation of the provisions on any matter not covered in this Information Brochure, the decision of the UCI Committee will be final and binding on all the applicants.
Although UCEED 2021 is held at different centres across the country, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay is the Organizing Institute and has the overall responsibility of conducting UCEED 2021. In case of any claims or disputes arising in respect of UCEED 2021, it is hereby made absolutely clear that the High Court of Bombay alone shall have the exclusive jurisdiction to entertain and settle any such claims and disputes.
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay is an institution of national importance established through Acts of Parliament for fostering excellence in education.
The institute is recognised worldwide as a leader in the field of education and research. Reputed for the outstanding calibre of students graduating from its undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, the institute attracts the best students from the country for its Bachelor, Master and Doctoral programmes. Research and academic programmes at IIT Bombay are driven by faculties, who are reputed for their research contributions internationally.
Over the years, IIT Bombay has created a world class educational platform that is dynamically sustained through quality teaching and internationally acclaimed research with excellent infrastructure and the best available minds. The faculty and alumni of IIT Bombay occupy key positions in academia and industry, both in India and abroad, and continue to make a considerable impact in all sections of the society.
Located in Powai, one of the northern suburbs of Mumbai, the residents of the institute reap the advantage of being in the busy financial capital of India, while at the same time enjoying the serenity of a campus known for its natural beauty. Being a fully residential institute, all the students are accommodated in hostels with in-house dining; the campus also provides excellent amenities for sports and other recreational facilities.
Vision of IIT Bombay:
To be the fountainhead of new ideas and of innovators in technology and science.
Mission of IIT Bombay:
To create an ambience in which new ideas, research and scholarship flourish and from which the leaders and innovators of tomorrow emerge.
The primary objectives of IIT Bombay are as follows:
- To create an environment that encourages freedom of thought and pursuit of excellence, and inculcates the necessary vision and self-discipline to achieve excellence.
- To build a solid foundation of scientific and technical knowledge and to prepare competent and motivated engineers and scientists.
- To kindle an entrepreneurial spirit among the students.
- To prepare the students to become outstanding professionals and contribute to nation- building.
B.Des PROGRAMME AT IDC, IIT BOMBAY
IDC School of Design previously known as Industrial Design Centre (IDC) at IIT Bombay has a well-established Master of Design degree (M. Des) programme in Industrial Design, Communication Design, Animation Design, Interaction Design & Mobility and Vehicle Design as well as a Ph. D programme in Design.
IDC provides a conducive environment for research, academics and collaborative projects. Supported by excellent research facilities, technical expertise and academic diversity of IIT Bombay, IDC has been involved with various initiatives in all areas of design. The potential for innovation at IDC lies fundamentally in terms of solving real world problems.
From the year 2015 onwards, IDC started offering a four year, eight semester Bachelor of Design (B. Des) programme and a five year, ten semesters dual degree B. Des + M. Des programme. However, the option of doing the dual degree B. Des + M. Des will be available only at the end of the 3rd year. Both these programmes would be credit-based and thus offer the flexibility to progress at one’s own pace. A minimum level of performance is essential for satisfactory progress. The medium of instruction is English. Students admitted to the B. Des programme will not be eligible for branch change to any other undergraduate programmes offered by IIT Bombay at any time during the entire duration of the programme. Read more about IDC at: http://www.idc.iitb.ac.in
The Department of Design (DoD) at IIT Guwahati was set up with a vision to enkindle some of the brightest technical minds of the country a passion for innovation in technology driven by firm understanding, appreciation and celebration of design.
The department offers a B. Des Degree, an M. Des degree and a Ph. D degree in Design. The focus of the program is on the study, invention, and creative use of technologies to create effective, usable, enjoyable experiences with technology through interdisciplinary research in engineering, design, behavioural and social sciences, and to understand the impact of technology on individuals, groups, and organizations. The department envisions to produce successful graduates who will be capable of leading the changing scenarios of today and tomorrow through thought, innovation and values. Read more about DoD at: http://www.iitg.ernet.in/design
The Department of Design at IIT Hyderabad offers a vibrant environment for learning, practicing and exploring several facets of design. The department envisions to creatively engage in the space between technologies and people. This involves facilitating innovation in the key emergent areas such as Participatory and collaborative Design, Professional Ethics/ Sustainability, Product Systems and Services, Design and education, Wellness, Crowd sourced Design. The degrees offered in this department are M.Des. degree, B.Des. degree and Ph. D degree in Design.
The intention behind the B Des course curriculum proposed by the Department of Design, is to tackle an increasing need and demand both with the academic and the professional aspect of the discipline for undergraduate programs in Design. The B. Des curriculum is designed as part of a four level structure leading to a gradual movement from general, foundational courses at level 1 to more specialized inputs at level 4. The program attempts to constitute both the ‘general’ dimension of design (breadth) and the specific dimensions (depth) through a 4-level structure which allows gradual focus areas to emerge. As the student moves upwards from level 1 to level 2, the student graduates to choosing between courses which offer different kinds skills from soft to hard. The courses at level 1 would help the students to choose the mix of skills they prefer to acquire. At level 3 it is hoped that the student is ready to fine tune a certain mix or a set of skills into a specialization. It is at this stage that the specializations emerge – Product Design, Visual Communication, User Experience Design, etc. At Level 4 the student employs all that has been gained in terms of skills and understanding and applies or uses them in independent projects. Level 4 is purely about design as a ‘practice’. It provides real-life environments to provide the students with a taste of what it means to practice design. Read more at https://design.iith.ac.in/
In the Design Discipline at IIITDM Jabalpur, a holistic and all-inclusive philosophy is applied to train human resources the paradigm of Modern Design at Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral level, so as to make them adept designers. The rigorous curriculum, the intense research methodologies, the diligent practice in skills create knowledge based professionals of industrial design and innovation. The modern-age facilities of Rapid Prototyping, 3D scanning, Ultrasonic Plastic Welding, Water-Jet cutting, CNC (Lathe and Milling), Injection Moulding, Vacuum Forming, Laser Cutting, Universal Wood Working, etc. with support staff skilled in wood, metal, polymer, FRPs and composite fabrication provide an incredible hands- on practical training to the students. Read more about Design Discipline at: http://design.iiitdmj.ac.in/
SCHEDULE OF UCEED 2021
UCEED is a test centre-based examination and has two parts: Part-A is computer based and Part-B contains question related to sketching that needs to be attempted on the provided sheet. It is compulsory for the candidates to attempt both the parts in the given time.
The total time for the examination (that includes both Part-A and Part-B) is 3 hours duration and it will be held as per the following schedule:
|Date||January 17, 2021 (Sunday)|
|Session||9:00am to 12:00pm|
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR APPEARING IN UCEED 2021
A candidate, including a foreign national, must fulfil each and every one of the following three criteria to appear in UCEED 2021.
Criterion 1 – Age limit:
The candidate should have been born on or after October 1, 1996 if belonging to the OPEN/EWS/OBC-NCL category and on or after October 1, 1991 if belonging to the SC, ST or PwD category.
Criterion 2 – Number of attempts:
A candidate can attempt UCEED for a maximum of two times and that too in consecutive years. Note that UCEED score is valid for one year, and only for admissions in the same corresponding academic year.
Criterion 3 – Qualifying examination:
The candidate should have passed in all subjects in the Qualifying Examination (Class XII or equivalent) in 2020, OR should be appearing for the qualifying examination in 2021 in order to be eligible to attempting UCEED 2021. Students from ALL STREAMS (Science,Commerce, and Arts & Humanities) are eligible.
Candidates appeared for the first time in their qualifying examination in 2019 or earlier are NOT eligible.
- Each candidate must submit a valid certificate to avail reservation. Seat allocation will be based on the All India Rank (merit order), reservation `category and seat availability ineach institute at the time of seat allocation.
- Candidates must note that the benefit of reservation will be given to them subject to verification of documents at the appropriate stage. Ifitis discovered at anystage that a candidatehas used afalse / fake/ incorrect document, orhas furnished false, incorrect or incomplete information, in order to avail the benefit of reservation, then such candidate shall be excluded from all admission processes. Incase such a candidate has already been given admission, then the admission shall stand cancelled.
- If the PwD certificate is not valid and the candidate has availed the compensatory time and/or availed the services of an amanuensis (scribe), he/she cannot be rolled back to the OPEN category. His/her candidature will be cancelled.
REGISTRATION FOR UCEED 2021
- Candidates should register for appearing in UCEED 2021. Registration can be done ONLY through the online registration portal linked from www.uceed.iitb.ac.in.
- Candidates should simultaneously satisfy ALL THE THREE eligibility criteria [Refer ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR APPEARING IN UCEED 2021].
- Registration will be cancelled if, at a later date, it is found that the candidate does not meet any of the three eligibility criteria
- Registration fee is NEITHER refundable NOR transferable
- It will entirely be the responsibility of the candidate to provide the correct information regarding the qualifying exam and category, and upload the correct documents in the required formats in the registration form. Registration forms, incomplete in any way, will be summarily rejected and the registration will be considered invalid. The admitting institutes have the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of a candidate in accordance with the rules and regulations in force, if it is found that any information provided by the candidate is incorrect or the registration is incomplete.
Detailed instructions for the online registration are provided on the registration portal.
|Online registration portal||www.uceed.iitb.ac.in|
|Start Date||September 9, 2020, 01:00 pm|
|End Date (with regular fee)||October 10, 2020, 11:55 pm|
|End Date (with late fee)||October 17, 2020, 11:55 pm|
REGISTRATION FOR UCEED 2021
RegistrationFeefor ExaminationCentres in India
|Indian Nationals (including PIO/OCI)||Female Candidates(all categories)||₹ 1750|
|SC, ST, PwD Candidates||₹ 1750|
|All Other Candidates||₹ 3500|
|Foreign Nationals||Candidates from SAARC countries||USD $350|
|Candidates from Non-SAARC countries||USD $450|
RegistrationFeefor ExaminationCentres in Dubai
|Indian Nationals (including PIO/OCI)||All Indian Nationals||USD $350|
|Foreign Nationals||Candidates from SAARC countries||USD $350|
|Candidates from Non-SAARC countries||USD $450|
The registrationfeesshown aboveDOESNOT INCLUDEservicecharges, processingfees and/or any other chargesthat thebanks maycharge.
- The above registration fee is applicabletill the closing dateof October 10,2020, (11:55 pm).
- Alate feeof₹500/ USD $50 is applicable to ALL candidates for registration done after the closing date of October 10,2020,and till the late registration closing date,i.e.,October 17, 2020,(11:55pm).It is not possible toregister after 11:55pm on October 17,2020, as the portal shallclose.
- Detailed instructions related to the payment of registration fee will be available on the online registration portal.
RESULTS OF UCEED 2021
- Results will be declared on March 13, 2021.
- UCEED results will be available only on the official website (www.uceed.iitb.ac.in). Candidates need to use their user login and password (created during registration process) for viewing the results on the webpage.
- All candidates who appeared in UCEED 2021 will be able to download their score card from March 10, 2021.
- All shortlisted candidates will get a common merit rank (All India Rank). All shortlisted candidates are considered as qualified candidates in UCEED 2021.
- Obtaining a rank in UCEED 2021 does not guarantee admission to the BDes programme. Hard copy of the UCEED score card will not be available and hence will NOT be sent to the qualified candidates either by post or by email.
- The responses of the candidates for Part-A of UCEED 2021 will be available for download ONLY until the declaration of the UCEED result. Downloading of Part-A responses will be DISABLED once the UCEED results are declared. No further requests shall be entertained in this regard.
- Part-A of the examination is a computer-based test (CBT); there is NO scope for review, regrading or re-totalling of the Part-A marks of the examination paper.
- Part-B contains only one question which is going to be manually evaluated by examiners. Part-B of UCEED is a subjective question and there is no model solution for it. It will be evaluated holistically on a set of criteria given in the question.
- There is NO provision for RE-EVALUATION in UCEED. Request for re-evaluation will NOT be entertained under any circumstances
- Shortlisting: Marks obtained in Part-A will be used to shortlist candidates. The cut-offs (𝛿) for Part-A marks to shortlist candidates in the Open category will be 𝜇 + (𝜎⁄2) = 𝛿, where 𝜇 and 𝜎 are the average marks and standard deviation of distribution of marks obtained by ALL the candidates in Part-A of UCEED 2021. The 𝜇 and 𝜎 will be rounded off after the first decimal place. The candidates belonging to the reserved categories shall have to fulfil a relaxed cut-off mark, which will be 0.9𝛿 for OBC-NCL, 0.5𝛿 for SC/ST and 0.5𝛿 for PwD.
- Part-B paper of those candidates who do not get shortlisted, shall not be evaluated.
- All shortlisted candidates will get a rank.
- The evaluated answer booklets of Part-B will not be shared with the candidates.
- Answer booklets will be preserved ONLY for a period of 3 months from the date of declaration of UCEED results.
- The evaluation of Part-B will be done manually by at least two evaluators separately and
- If the difference <= 12 marks (20%), a simple average of the two examiners will be considered.
- If the difference > 12 marks (20%), the answer sheet of Part-B will be evaluated by a third examiner (and so on until the difference <= 20%).
A simple average of the closest of 2 evaluators will be selected as the final marks.
- Total UCEED score will be calculated by adding the marks obtained in Part-A and Part-B. This total score will be used to prepare the final result/rank.
- UCEED 2021 Question Paper and Draft Answer Key will be released on the UCEED website on January 21, 2021. Any comments or objections to the draft answer key may be sent to the designated email address (email@example.com) within a period of 3 days, i.e., till January 24, 2021, 05:00 pm.
- The responses of the candidates for Part-A of UCEED 2021 will be available for download UCEED 2021 21 ONLY until the declaration of the UCEED result
- Final decision regarding the answer keys will be taken by the UCI Committee after consolidating and considering all the comments from the candidates and the paper setting team. This decision is final and will be binding on all the candidates.
- All shortlisted candidates will get a rank. All shortlisted candidates are considered as qualified candidates in UCEED 2021. For details on shortlisting criteria, please refer to Section 17 (See EVALUATION).
- Rank list will be prepared based on the total marks (Part-A marks and Part-B marks combined) in UCEED 2021.
- If the total marks scored by two or more candidates are same, then the following tie-break
policy will be used for awarding ranks:
- Higher rank will be assigned to the candidate who has obtained higher marks in Part-B
- Higher rank will be assigned to the candidate who has obtained higher marks in Part-A’s Section 2.
- If this does not break the tie, higher rank will be assigned to the candidate who has obtained higher marks in Part-A’s Section 1.
- If there is a tie even after this, the candidates will be assigned same rank.
The services ofascribe (amanuensis)are available to candidates who have disability and require assistance inoperating the computerforthe exam forPart-Aofthe examination. However, the candidate will be required to attempt Part-B without assistance, due toits nature, described below.
- To avail thisbenefit,thecandidate should select this optioninthe online registration form AND upload a copy of the PwD certificate(Appendix4–7), at the time ofonline registrationfor UCEED 2021. Thecompensatory time of Part-AandPart-Bare non- transferable.
- Ifa PwD candidate wants to avail compensatory time (20minutes per hour)and/or request the assistance of a scribe, the same request should be mentioned while filling the registration form. PwD certificate is to be uploaded along with such requests, which are to be made inthe givenformat(Appendix8-9).
- The UCEED Office will assess the request along with the supporting document and contact the candidate viaemail with further instructions if necessary.
- Ifit is found that a candidate has used the services of a scribe and/or compensatory time, but DOES NOT possess the extent of disability that warrants the use ofa scribe and/or compensatory time,he/she willbe excluded from the process ofevaluation, rankingand admission. If the candidate has already beenadmitted, his/heradmissionwill be cancelled.
Givenbelow is alist ofcertificates and otherdocuments that are to be uploaded at thetime of onlineregistrationforUCEED2021. ThecertificatesMUSTbe inthe Central Government format as giveninthe appendices.
- Arecent colourphotographoffullfrontal(face)view, withtheheadcentred intheframe covering70–80% of the photographand takenwithinthe lastsix months. The photograph should be suchthatit allows unambiguous identificationofthecandidate(onlyJPEG image formatswithfileextension.jpgwill beaccepted).
- Scanned copy ofcandidate’s full signature onwhite paper(only JPEGimage formatswith file extension.jpg willbeaccepted).
- Qualifying examination certificate,if appeared in 2020 (only PDF formats with file extension.pdf will be accepted).
- Forthose candidates who will be appearing in2021 forthe exam, a certificate from the school/college principal in the given format (Appendix1) should be uploaded (only PDF formats with file extension.pdfwill be accepted).
- If the name isnot same as inthe Class XII certificate, gazette notification showing the change ofname(only PDF formats with file extension.pdfwillbe accepted).
Candidates seeking admission under theEWS,OBC-NCL, SC, STor PwD category
- OBC-NCL(Appendix – 2), Caste(for SC), Tribe(for ST) (Appendix –3), EWS (Appendix 10)or PwD certificate(Appendix4–7)issuedbya competent authority(only PDF formats with file extension.pdfwill be accepted).
PwD Candidates requiring Scribeand/or Compensatory Time
- PwD candidates requiring scribe and/orcompensatory time (20 minutes/hr)during the exam need to upload arequest letteras perappendix(8&9).
- The compensatory timeforPart-Acannot be transferred to Part-B andviceversa.
NOTE: All documents and information uploaded by thecandidate shallbe subject to verificationat asubsequent stage. The candidature shall be cancelledifit is found atany stage that the information or document(s)furnished bythe candidate is false.
- Candidate whose registrationis complete inall aspects willbe able to download the admit cardforUCEED2021fromthe registration portal(www.uceed.iitb.ac.in) from the date specified below.
- The admitcardwillbearthe followingdetails ofthe candidate: Name,UCEED registration ID, Roll NumberforUCEED2021, photograph, signature, examinationschedule, examinationcentredetails andinstructions to candidates.
- Candidates should carefully examine ALL the entries in the admit card and incase ofany discrepancy, contact the UCEED2021 Office at IIT Bombay BEFORE thebelow mentioned date via the designated email address(firstname.lastname@example.org).
- In case the admit card is not available for downloading, the candidate should contact the UCEED 2021 Office at IIT Bombay immediately via email or phone (See CONTACT).
- Aprinted copy ofthe downloaded admit card MUST be produced at the time of examination.
|Portal for downloading admit card||www.uceed.iitb.ac.in|
|Admit card downloading||January 01,2021 onwards|
|Last date for rectification of discrepancies in the admit card||January 07,2021,05:00 pm.|
- There will be ONE question paper of 3 hours duration.
- The question paper will be in English.
- The question paper will carry a total of 300 marks.
- The question paper will consist of two parts: Part-A and Part-B.It is compulsory to attempt questions from both the parts
- Utmost care is taken to prepare an error free question paper. However, if an error is detected in the question paper after the examination, the UCI Committee shall take an appropriate decision, which shall be final
Details from both the parts are given below:
PART-A (Total marks: 240 marks; Maximum time: 2 hours 30 mins)
• Part-A of the question paper will be administered through a computer based test.
• Part-A of the question paper will consist of 3 sections.
Section 1: NAT (Numerical Answer Type): 18 questions (4 marks for correct answer ; no negative marks). For these questions, the answer is a number that needs to be entered using a virtual keyboard in the computer screen. No choices will be shown for these questions.
Section 2: MSQ (Multiple Select Question): 18 questions (4 marks each only if all correct answers are entered; 0.19 negative marks for any incorrect answer). Each MSQ has one or more correct answer(s) out of the four given choices
Section 3: MCQ (Multiple Choice Question): 32 questions (3 marks each for the correct answer; 0.71 negative marks for incorrect answers). Each MCQ has four choices out of which only one is the correct answer.
PART-B (Total marks: 60 marks; Maximum time: 30 mins)
- Part-B consists of one question that is aimed at testing the candidate’s drawing skills which will require subjective evaluation. The question in Part-B will be displayed on the computer screen and the answer has to be written/drawn in the answer book provided by the invigilator only. In case of PwD candidates availing the use of a scribe, assistance in attempting Part-B is not permitted, due to the nature of the question and evaluation of a candidate’s drawing skill.
- Part-B answer booklets will be collected at the end of the examination.
- Part-B question is mandatory.
The entire paper (both Part-A and Part-B) must be finished within stipulated time.
- Candidate must carry a printed copy of the downloaded admit card.
- Candidate must check and be present at the correct centre on the day of the exam as per the address and schedule given in the admit card.
- Only candidate having a valid admit card will be allowed inside the examination centre.
- The candidate’s identity will be verified by invigilators as well as IIT representatives. If the identity of the candidate is in doubt, the candidate may not be allowed to appear for the examination. However, the authorities at their discretion may permit the candidate to appear for the examination after completing certain formalities. No extra time will be allowed for completing the examination in lieu of the time taken for completing these formalities. In case a candidate with doubtful identity is permitted to appear, his/her candidature shall be subject to the final decision of UCI Committee.
- Impersonation and/or use of any unfair means in the examination is a serious offence which will result in immediate disqualification of the candidate from UCEED, and lead to criminal proceedings against the candidate.
- Candidate will NOT be allowed to carry any electronic device (mobile phones, smart phones, digital/smart watches, calculators, tablets etc.), abacus, slide rule, log books, study material of any type, geometry box, etc. to the examination hall. A list of forbidden items will be put up on the website before the exam if there are additional items
- Candidate has to remain in the examination hall for the entire duration of the examination.
- Further instructions, if any, shall be put up on the website before the exam
UCEED 2021 will have two parts. Part-A will have questions from the following topics:
Visualization and spatial ability: Pictorial and diagrammatic questions to test understanding of transformation and/or manipulation of 2D shapes and 3D objects and their spatial relationships, knowledge of practical and everyday mechanical and scientific concepts.
Observation and design sensitivity: Ability to detect concealed properties in ordinary things, people, situations, and events, and thinking critically about them. Applying attention to certain details, analysing, reasoning, classifying, inferring and predicting. Ability to discern subtle differences in visual properties and aesthetic outcomes.
Environmental and social awareness: General awareness of environmental factors such as climate, population, water, vegetation, pollution, weather, natural resources etc., and their implications on the design of products, images, infrastructure and environment. Awareness of social and cultural connection with design, history of the designed artefact, and socially responsible and environmentally sustainable design responses. History of art, sculpture and literature.
Analytical and logical reasoning: Ability to look at information, be it qualitative or quantitative in nature, and discern patterns within the information. Ability to weigh opinions, arguments or solutions against appropriate criteria. Ability to check for hidden bias or hidden assumptions and whether evidence and argument support conclusions. Ability to use logic and structured thinking to deduce from a short passage, which of a number of statements is the most accurate response to a posed question. Data Interpretation, brainteasers, and patterns.
Language and creativity: Ability to understand and use Standard English. Reading comprehension, knowledge of English grammar. Ability to think creatively in terms of alternatives, ability to distinguish innovative options and to think out of the box
Design thinking and problem solving: Ability to use visual analogies, metaphors, signs and symbols. Ability to understand complexity, identify problems, generate alternatives, evaluate options and select solutions.
The topics given above are exhaustive and indicative of the nature of questions. However, the UCEED 2021 may not cover all the topics
Part-B will have question from the following topic:
Drawing: Ability to draw products, people or scenes in proportion with good line quality, composition, proportion, perspective and shading.
UCEED 2021 will be held in the following 24 cities in India:
Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Dehradun, Delhi, Ernakulum, Panaji, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Lucknow, Kolkata, Kozhikode, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur and Visakhapatnam.
Candidates should compulsorily opt for 3 cities of their choice, in the order of preference, at the time of online registration. Once the registration is complete, request for change of city will NOT be entertained
If a sufficient number of candidates are not available in a listed city, then that city may be dropped from the final list, and those candidates will be allotted a centre in the city of either their second choice or third choice. Additionally, because of operational contingencies, the UCI Committee reserves the right to add a new city/town or remove an existing one and allot a city/town that may not be among any of the choices of a candidate
International Center at Dubai
Candidates opting for Dubai centre should also compulsorily opt for 2 additional cities of their choice from above 24 Indian cities, in the order of preference, at the time of online registration for UCEED 2021.
- If the registered number of candidates are less than 25, then the Dubai centre may be dropped from the final list, and those candidates will be allotted a centre from the 2 Indian cities of their choice, in the order of preference.
- Additionally, because of operational contingencies, the UCI Committee reserves the right to cancel the international centre at Dubai, even if there are more than 25 candidates. The final decision shall be announced by December 1, 2021 on the OFFICIAL UCEED-2021 website (www.uceed.iitb.ac.in)
NOTE: A request for change of a centre (national or international) will NOT be entertained after the registration is complete.
Candidates who are NOT citizens of India at the time of registering for UCEED 2021 (by birth or naturalization) and whose parents are not citizens of India and do not come under UCEED 2021 7 PIO/OCI category at the time of registering for UCEED 2021 are treated as foreign nationals. Seats allotted to foreign nationals are supernumerary with a cap of 10% of total available seats in the course. The availability of supernumerary seats will be announced at the time of seat allocation
The seats allotted to OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) / PIO (Person of Indian Origin) card holders will be under Open category, but not supernumerary. Foreign Nationals and OCI/PIO card holders are outside the ambit of reservations [see RESERVATION POLICY/SEATS].
However, successfully appearing in UCEED 2021 is a must for all candidates for the admission to BDes program at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad and IIITDM Jabalpur
PART 2 - B.Des Admissions
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR APPLYING FOR BDes
To apply for admission to the BDes programmes of the participating institute, i.e., IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, and IIITDM Jabalpur, an applicant is required to fulfil the following 3 criteria
Criterion 1 – Age limit: The candidate should have been born on or after October 1, 1996 if belonging to the OPEN/EWS/OBC-NCL category and, on or after October 1, 1991 if belonging to the SC, ST or PwD category
Criterion 2 – UCEED qualification: The candidate should have qualified, i.e., obtained a rank, in UCEED 2021.
Criterion 3 – Qualifying examination: The candidate should have passed in all subjects in the qualifying examination (Class XII or equivalent) in 2020 or 2021. Those who appeared for the first time in their qualifying examination in 2019 or earlier are NOT eligible.
Candidates from the Science Stream with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as subjects are eligible to apply to all the four institutes. Candidates from any other stream (Science without Maths or Physics or Chemistry, Commerce, and Arts & Humanities) are eligible to apply to IIT Bombay, IIT Hyderabad and IIITDM Jabalpur.
The candidates appearing for their qualifying examination (Class XII or equivalent) in 2021 should ensure that, (a) all parts of their final examination are completed by the date of application for admission, and (b) proof of having passed the qualifying examination with required eligibility is submitted by September 30, 2021 to the admitting institute
If a qualifying examination Board awards only letter grades without providing information on the passing grade on the grade sheet, the candidate should obtain a certificate from the Board specifying the passing grade and upload it along with the grade sheet. In case such a certificate is not provided, the decision taken by the UCI Committee will be final.
The criteria, as specified above, is applicable “in toto” to all the applicants including foreign nationals. Applications from foreign nationals including OCI (Overseas Citizen of India)/ PIO (People of Indian Origin) card holders are considered under the open category and they are outside the ambit of reservation of seats under the EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories. Seats allotted to foreign nationals are supernumerary with a cap of 10% of total seats. However, seats allotted to OCI/PIO candidates are not supernumerary
APPLICATION FORM FOR ADMISSION
Only UCEED 2021 qualified students can apply for admission to the BDes programme at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad and IIITDM Jabalpur for the academic year 2021- 2022. There will be a common application form for admissions to their respective BDes programmes. The UCEED Office, IIT Bombay will process the common application form and carry out the joint seat allocation process.
The common application form will be available through the IIT Bombay Admissions Portal. The link for the same shall be available on the official UCEED website (www.uceed.iitb.ac.in). Applicants will be able to fill in their personal particulars and select institutes of their choice by indicating the order of preference
The application can be submitted after paying the application processing fee, uploading digital copies of relevant supporting documents, and uploading the signed copy of the completed application form (first page only). Detailed instructions on each step of the application process are provided within the online application form.
Supporting documents required for application are digital copies of Photo, Signature, UCEED Score Card, Qualifying Examination Mark Sheet (Class XII or equivalent), and where applicable, OBC-NCL/SC/ST Certificate, PwD Certificate, EWS certificate and OCI/PIO Card.
UCEED and BDes admission are two different activities. The category-wise rank obtained in UCEED exam is an indication of the candidates position in the respective category at the time of the result declaration
Seat allocation will be based on the All India Rank (merit order), reservation category and seat availability in each institute at the time of seat allocation.
Applicants will be able to edit their application form, including the order of preference of institutes and resubmit it, till the closing date of the application period. However, after the closing date, all institute choices and information filled in the applications are treated as FINAL. Requests for ANY changes in the application will be strictly NOT entertained.
It will entirely be the responsibility of the candidate to provide the correct and complete information regarding the qualifying exam and category, and upload the correct documents in the required formats in the application form. Application forms that are incorrect and/or incomplete in any way, will be summarily rejected and the application will be considered invalid. At the stage of admission, the admitting institutes will conduct a document verification exercise of each candidate. The admitting institutes have the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of a candidate in accordance with the rules and regulations in force, UCEED 2021 30 if it is found that any information provided by the candidate is incorrect or the application is incomplete. Candidates may note that the offer of admission made to them during the online seat allocation process is provisional and will be confirmed by the admitting institutes only after the requisite fees are paid and the documents are duly verified.
SEATS AVAILABLE FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2021-2021
* PWD reservations @ 5% (total 2 seats in all above programmes) will be horizontal (i.e. PWD candidates will consume seats from their birth category quota)
RESERVATION OF SEATS
Indian nationals belonging to certain categories are admitted under the seats reserved for them in accordance with the rules of the Government of India. The categories and the extent of reservation are as follows:
- Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) – 10% of seats in the course. EWS certificates issued only from April 1, 2020 onwards are accepted.
- Other Backward Classes belonging to the Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL) – 27% of seats in the course. The name of the backward class should be in the current central list of OBCs (http://www.ncbc.nic.in). OBCs present in the state list, but not covered in the central list will not be entitled to claim the benefit of reservation. OBC-NCL certificates issued only from April 1, 2020 onwards are accepted. The candidates must ensure that they possess a valid and updated OBC-NCL certificate at the time of applying for admission to a programme.
- Candidates belonging to the creamy layer of OBC are NOT entitled for reservation. Such candidates are treated as belonging to the Open (i.e., unreserved) category.
- Scheduled Caste (SC) – 15% of seats in the course.
- Scheduled Tribe (ST) – 7.5% of seats in the course.
- The benefit of reservation will be given only to those castes and tribes that are mentioned in the respective central list of corresponding states published by the Government of India. (http://socialjustice.nic.in/sclist.php and http://tribal.nic.in/Content/list%20of%20Scheduled%20Tribes%20in%20India.aspx).
- The 5% reservations for PwD candidates will be horizontal. PwD candidates will consume seats from their birth category.
- Unfilled seats in the OBC-NCL category can be allotted to OPEN category candidates, whereas seats remaining vacant under the SC and ST categories shall NOT be allotted to candidates belonging to other categories.
- Leprosy-cured candidates who are otherwise fit to pursue the course are also included in PwD category.
- Candidates holding OCI/PIO cards are treated as OPEN category candidates.
- Foreign nationals are outside the ambit of reservation of seats under the OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories as specified herein.
- The category chosen by a candidate at the time of registration for UCEED 2021 is final and requests for any change of category will NOT be entertained at a later date.
- Each candidate must submit a valid certificate to avail reservation. Seat allocation will be UCEED 2021 28 based on the All India Rank (merit order), reservation category and seat availability in each institute at the time of seat allocation.
- If the PwD certificate is not valid and the candidate has availed the compensatory time and/or services of a amanuensis (scribe), he/she cannot be rolled back to the OPEN category. His/her candidature will be cancelled.
Three rounds of seat allocation will be conducted. However, once the seats are filled, the seat allocation will be closed. Seats will be provisionally allotted based on the applicant UCEED rank, category and choice of institutes. Selected candidates will be sent provisional allotment letters via their registered email, and will be directed to an online payment system to remit the Seat Acceptance Fee of ₹ 60,000 (Rupees Sixty Thousand only) for GEN/EWS/OBC-NCL and ₹ 15,000/- (Rupees Fifteen Thousand only) for SC/ST/PwD.
The joint seat allotment will be governed by the following rules:
- If the selected candidates do not remit the seat acceptance fee before the given deadline or decline the admission, their application will stand cancelled. These vacant seats will be filled during the subsequent rounds of seat allotment
- If an applicant is allotted his/her FIRST choice of institute, the candidate can either ACCEPT (‘freeze’) the choice or DECLINE the offer. If the candidate chooses to DECLINE the offer, he/she will NOT be considered for subsequent rounds.
- If an applicant is allotted his/her SECOND/THIRD/FOURTH choice of institute, the candidate can opt to either ACCEPT (‘freeze’) the choice, or ACCEPT WITH THE OPTION TO BE CONSIDERED FOR UPWARD MOVEMENT (‘float’) the choice for subsequent round(s), if any, of the joint seat allocation
- If the candidate chooses ‘freeze’ option, it means he/she has ACCEPTED the offer and does not wish to participate in further rounds of seat allocation. Such candidate will NOT be considered in subsequent rounds of admission.
- If the candidate chooses ‘float’ option, it means he/she has ACCEPTED the offer and has indicated that, if admission to an institute of his/her higher preference is offered, they will accept it. Else, they will continue with the currently accepted institute. Such candidates will be considered in subsequent rounds of admission.
- For candidates who choose the ‘float’ option, allocation of a seat in an institute of his/her higher preference would automatically result in the forfeiture of the seat accepted by him/her in the earlier round.
- Candidates offered seats have to remit seat acceptance fee only once. Thus, candidates who are allotted another seat (because they chose the ‘float’ option) do not have to pay seat acceptance fee again
- For candidates who accept offered seat, the seat acceptance fee will be adjusted against the institute fees of the admitting institute at the time of joining. For candidates who decline UCEED 2021 33 the offered seat after remitting the seat acceptance fee, the refund of the seat acceptance fee will be governed by the policies of the admitting institute.
- If a candidate has paid the seat acceptance fee and opts for withdrawal after the first round and one day before the announcement of third round will get refund after deducting seat cancellation and processing charges of ₹ 5000 (Rupees five thousand only). Refund requests after the announcement of the third round will not be entertained and no refund shall be given thereafter.
- Candidates do not have an option to withdraw an accepted/allotted seat after the announcement of last round of seat allocation.
- No refund is given post 3rd round as there is no option of “float” of the seats after the 3rd round