Unitedworld Institute of Design
Unitedworld Institute of Design ( UID )
The mission of the Unitedworld Institute of Design is to advance knowledge and educate students in various fields of Design. We are committed to coach our students to become the best and be at par with the best in the industry world over.
UID is an independent, coeducational, privately endowed learning place, organized into several specialized tracks (six undergrad programs like Fashion Design, Interior Design, Life style & Accessories, Product Design, Visual Communication, Foundation Programme & Four PG programs include Product Design –Industrial, Furniture & Interior Design, Visual Communication, Apparel & Textile Design).
At its founding, few years back, UID was an educational innovation, a community of hands-on problem solvers in love with fundamental design and eager to make the world a better place. Today, that spirit still guides how we educate students on campus and how we shape new digital learning technologies to make UID teaching accessible to millions of learners around the country & abroad. UID has some more than forty five faculty members and more than five hundred students.
UID’s spirit of interdisciplinary exploration has fueled many design breakthroughs. Currently UID is considered to be the best design school in India after NID. UID students are simply the best talent who work hard to contribute significantly in the welfare of the society by design innovations & new ventures.
|Bachelor’s Degree Programs||Master's Programs|
UID Fashion Design
UID Fashion Design Overview - Fashion is a fabulous choice if you’ve got your finger on the fashion pulse and you know the knack to set the trend. Our course will help you to discover and explore the fashion sense hidden in you. The course focuses on fashion designing concepts, processes and production. It is complemented with training on business and contextual sessions. Exploratory project works are incorporated to provide integrated approach that combines creativity with much needed technical skills.
The aim is to let students develop their individual styles and at the same time, be proficient enough to alter in accordance with the changing needs and trends of the fashion industry.
Fashion illustration & design is aimed to learn various techniques and mediums of fashion designing on paper. Fabric draping and garment study is aimed to understand the characteristic of various kinds of fabric, body structures and garment stitching and manufacturing techniques. Pattern making and elements of textiles is aimed to understand the fabric manufacturing techniques as well as garment manufacturing technique to suit the body shapes and enhance elegance of garments. History of Fashion design and fashion studies are aimed to understand the origin of garments in different countries as well as understanding the current trends in fashion industry. The course also includes the most important aspect of fashion forecast. Digital presentation techniques and various software skills like Photoshop, coral draw and fashion CAD are also inclusive in the course.
UID Fashion Design Course Outline - Fashion illustration & design is aimed to learn various techniques and mediums of fashion designing on paper. Fabric draping and garment study is aimed to understand the characteristic of various kinds of fabric, body structures and garment stitching and manufacturing techniques. Pattern making and elements of textiles is aimed to understand the fabric manufacturing techniques as well as garment manufacturing technique to suit the body shapes and enhance elegance of garments.
History of Fashion design and fashion studies are aimed to understand the origin of garments in different countries as well as understanding the current trends in fashion industry. The course also includes the most important aspect of fashion forecast. Digital presentation techniques and various software skills like Photoshop, coral draw and fashion CAD are also inclusive in the course.
UID Fashion Design Career Thought - Students associated with this course have capability of building their own identity independently by being associated with Design Studios, Retail & Fashion House. They can even play role as Fashion Coordinator, Merchandiser, Product Development Manager, Fashion Buyer, Design Consultant, Stylist, Fashion Illustrator, Fashion Editor & Journalists, Design Critics, Costume Designer, Trend & Forecast analysts with organization engaged in design intervention.
UID Interior Design
UID Interior Design Overview - For Interior Design the focus is laid on the study of both architectural and design content with an inbuilt environment, along with developing human interface within a given space. This course emphasizes on space planning, creative problem solving, communication skills and knowledge of building materials, construction, and computer aided drafting and history of design to create professional and successful interior designers. A degree in interior designing is blended with keen sense of colour, design and space management that offers vast scope in terms of growth.
With changing lifestyle trends and realty industry growing by leaps and bounds, interior designers are the most sought professionals all around the world.
UID Interior Design Course Outline :
- History of world interiors, elements of interior design and interior design methodology.
- Interior technology, material and construction, Human dimensions and interior spaces.
- Environmental control systems & eco-friendly designs.
- Interior design projects on residential, outdoor spaces, education spaces and commercial spaces.
- Lighting systems, furniture and exhibition design.
- 2D & 3D digital technology and software, modular technology and system for commercial space designing.
- Design culture and psychology, modular design production and industry exposure.
UID Interior Design Career Thought - Students indulged in this course are certified professional who can exclusively handle big projects like hotels, airports, major office buildings or interiors of theme parks. They may also try as interior consultant, can decorate private homes, prepare plans, other specifications like interior construction, furnishings, colors and lightings.
UID Product Design
UID Product Design Overview - In the last few years, the field of Industrial Design has gone through dramatic changes. We have seen the revolution in digital technology, which allowed billions of people around the globe to connect, communicate, and share informations. We have curated a programme where students will be exposed to the latest industry trends and will be encouraged to innovate.
We have observed the convergence of industrial design with scientific research—from biology and genetics to artificial intelligence and robotics—allowing things from the realm of science fiction to take shape in real life. We have at last begun to address problems of the “other 90%” of the world, trying to solve problems of poverty, hunger, energy, health, and other troubling issues of the disadvantaged world population by design.
We have come to realize our responsibility for the planet’s climate and limited resources, and for our handling of the environment, industry, and agriculture. The UID program is set to prepare students to become industry leaders, capable of tackling the complexity of design problems in the 21st century. Whether working in corporations or acting as entrepreneurs, students will be able to create products, systems, and environments which help to innovate and improve everyday objects and situations.
At the UID students gain a solid understanding of design fundamentals from aesthetic values of 3-dimensional form to critical design thinking. In accordance with national accreditation standards, we structure our program to address design complexity, innovation, technology and sustainable future planning, all in an interconnected global context.
UID faculty members are professional educators and designers; many of who are principals of their own successful businesses and recipients of prestigious industry awards.
- A product designer needs to have sound technical skills in order to make models as well as they should have the ability to handle multiple projects.
- Product designers mainly design with colleagues and clients. They also work with engineers, model makers, sales and marketing staff etc.
- They also work in order to improve the existing product as well as they also design new products.
- Product designers generally use sketches, 3D models as well as computer designs to present their ideas.
UID Visual Communication (Graphics)
UID Visual Communication Overview - The Visual Communication Design program educates and trains aspiring designers for the communication needs of modern industry and evolving society.
Emphasis is placed on the conception, creation, planning and realization of visual solutions to complex problems in contemporary culture. Students integrate methodology, prototyping, aesthetics, human factors, technology, materials, context and audience to develop strategies and solutions that give form to print, screen and the built environment.
Faculty emphasize the objectives of design rather than the process of production, and encourage innovative visual ideas that inform, interpret, instruct or persuade the intended user across the spectrum of application.
The success of the UID program is evidenced by the receipt of numerous national and international Awards as well as significant publications.
At UID we offer visual communication (graphics) for undergraduate programme as well as for post graduate programme.
In the field of Visual Communication one can start his or her career in the creative team of a design firm or advertising agency where responsibilities include the development of graphic designs, advertising, communications etc.
- They mainly design graphic applications such as collateral materials, environmental graphics, books and magazines, corporate identity, film titling.
- They also create visual component for any project and also decide which will be the most suitable medium to deliver a message.
- They are also responsible to design websites as well as also take care of the site navigation design.
UID Lifestyle & Accessory Design (UG Course)
UID Lifestyle & Accessory Design Overview - Expeditious globalization has given impulsive charismatic trends, the vibrancy and variety in jewellery market has given rise to the style quotient of fashionistas. We focus on enlightenment of global cultures and life styles, which will nourish them with innovative aspirations with blending of cultures and lifestyle into contemporary designs.
To enjoy the success in this industry, one needs to be full of intense flow of creative skills and innovative thoughts. Opportunities are endless from small boutiques to large lifestyle houses and accessories designers.
UID Lifestyle & Accessory Design Course Outline -
- Drawing, rendering, form studies and product development are the core subjects in Lifestyle & Accessories Design studies.
- History of body ornamentation is aimed to understand the relation between body and ornamentations and create deeper understanding for body adornment.
- Material and technical studies, orthographic & autoCAD are aimed to get exposure to different materials and technical aspects in order to implement design into reality.
- Craft development and research are integral part of design education to understand socio-economy trend of craft heritage and ornamentation.
- Trend study, market opportunities and strategies, fashion forecast and range development are the core factors for students to make their special presence in the field of Lifestyle & Accessories Design.
UID Lifestyle & Accessory Design Career Thought - Students graduating from this course are professionals who can become product designer, brand manager, design manager, product development manager, toy designer, stylists, visual merchandiser, design of costume jewellery, leather goods, giftware, tableware, watches, bags, footwear and handicrafts researchers for government projects/ boutiques/entrepreneurs or individual / freelance designers.
UID Foundation Programme
COMMON FOR ALL STREAMS IN BACHELOR PROGRAMME – B.DES
Overview - Foundation Programme for Undergraduates is developed to enhance and sharpen the basic skills required for all design disciplines. The programme includes basic sketching and drawing to enhance hands- on skills, observation power, handling different mediums from pencil to various colour techniques followed by analytical drawing to understand the critical analysis of forms and shapes.
Detail introduction to principles and elements of design is a core exposure given to the students to relate emotive, visual and psychological aspects of design learning. Geometrical construction aims at basic shapes to the rules of golden proportion which is basic key to understand proportion and implementation of design ideas into product reality.
Basic exposure to different material and workshop practice is carried out as important area for design studies. Student learns to use and handle different tools and materials. Perspective drawing and orthographic drawing are taught to understand things in reality and learn to transform ideas into technical and visual presentation. Design can never be away from society and craft. UID gives exclusive exposure to learn with master craftsmen & artisans of various crafts, in order to understand the artisan and art. Students are expected to relate the craft to urban lifestyle and demand. History of art and culture gives exposure to international & Indian art by expert art historians from the field of fine arts.
Basic photography is a key available to all designers, Hence it is included as part of foundation programme itself. Students learn to use camera as a tool of creative & emotive expressions as well as get acquainted with the basic terms of photography. Having undergone the exposure of all the subjects create an aptitude in a student to go for design thinking. By the end of the foundation year, student undergoes a rigorous creative exposure of design process to develop product ideation and design.
At the end of the foundation year, students are expected to present their work before the eminent jury composed of design professionals and educationalists to receive valuable feedback.
UID Product Design (Industrial)
UID Product Design OverviewThe course focus delivers understanding of product, appliances and transportation to enhance the user friendly experience and efficient human living. It explores an inborn human need of user friendly products. Beginning with the concept of basic product development, industry need and emerging technologies are the most important tools today. With the growing population and urbanization, transporting people and commodities using a variety of means and eventually creating sustainable systems for Industrial Design is the need of hour. In such case the program is not restricted to only Product and Automobile Design but also to design systems and other means which enhance human comfort and commodities as well as support interactive human living which may vary from household appliances to office equipments along with products of daily use.
UID Product Design Course Outline
- History of Industrial Design.
- Design Drawing.
- Digital Drawing with CAD and CAM.
- Form studies and human dynamics.
- Consumer psychology and Industry needs.
- Technical Studies such as Emerging Technologies, Composites, Aerodynamics, Fluid, etc.
- Dynamics, Automobile Engineering, Automotive Clay and GFRP modeling.
- Design of mechanized and non-mechanized product and transportation systems.
- Product packaging and industrial strategy.
- Special purpose products like hospital equipments.
- Products used for hotels and restaurants.
- Special purpose transportation means like elevators, ambulance, post delivery vanity and security van design.
UID Product Design Career Thought The course offers 2 year rigorous study under the mentorship of experienced faculty, practising in the workshop as well as industry experience which is followed by six months real life industry sponsored research design project. The programme will suit to most of automobile engineers/mechanical engineers/ electrical engineers, architects and product design graduates.
UID Visual Communication (Graphics – masters)
UID Visual Communication (Graphics – masters) Overview Visual Communication is seen as a major tool to educate people and promote sales of various products in the competing industrial scenario today. Graphics play a key role to catch consumer attention and enhance the visual appeal to make the product reach consumer. This post graduate programme is designed for those who have mastered their basic skills in fine arts, painting as well as other relative art and creative fields. The programme emphasizes on understanding the message to be given and the basic psychology of consumer.
UID Visual Communication (Graphics – masters) Course Outline
- Design drawing with emphasis on body graphics illustration.
- Understanding different fonts and forms of relative scripts.
- History of Visual Communication after Industrialization.
- Music, film and script as power of communication.
- Script Building.
- Visual Scripting and Treatment.
- Audio – Visual Interface.
- Composing of Communication means.
- Elements of communication such as: kinematics, typography, corporate design, narrative & non-narrative aspects of visual communication.
- Information technology and print media.
- 3D modeling through software.
- Advance photography and use of different software.
UID Visual Communication (Graphics – masters) Career Thought The course offers 2 year rigorous study under the mentorship of experienced faculty, practising in the workshop as well as industry experience which is followed by six months real life industry sponsored research design project. The program will suit to most fine arts, graphic design as well as graduates from any field interested in animation.
Furniture & Interior Design
UID Furniture & Interior Design Overview Rapid urbanization and commercial infrastructure growth demands call for well designed furniture and interior spaces. Interior design today is beyond decoration or styling of the spaces.
Furniture & Interior design deals with human comfort and living space which relate to the skill base functional performance and efficiency.
UID Furniture & Interior Design Course Outline
- Design drawing, Space & form
- Materials and technology including mechanism, strength & structure of material
- Emerging technology, composite as well as production planning
- Technical aspects of furniture making
- History of furniture and industrial design
- Elements of furniture & interior design
- Furniture & interior design methodology
- Interior space
- Sustainable design system
- Modular technology and design system
- Lighting system & exhibition design
- Design culture and psychology
- Design production and industrial experience
UID Furniture & Interior Design Career Thought The course offers 2 year rigorous study under the mentorship of experienced faculty, practising in the workshop as well as industry experience which is followed by six month real life industry sponsored research design project. The program will best suit any design graduate, fine art, architecture as well as engineering graduate.
UID Apparel & Textile Design
UID Apparel & Textile Design Overview Textiles and clothing is as old as human civilization. Men started covering their body for functional use and over years it emerged as an urge for enhancing individual identity. Enhancement of personality has been the key reason for constant development and evolution of textile as fashion and need. Today textile has widened its definition from clothing to furnishing, linen, garment and industrial clothing. The industrial revolution after the world war has been the key factor in the mass production in textiles. The invention of needle and stitching machines became another boom in clothing industry which is identified today as fashion industry. Apparel design is beyond fashion which deals not merely with ramp walk garment but consciously deals with functional clothing right from space suit to pilot and army to postmen uniform. Corporate dress codes have added into high-end apparel demand.
UID Apparel & Textile Design Course Outline
- History of Apparel & Textile
- History of industrialization
- Woven and non woven fabric and techniques
- Printing and dyeing techniques & surface development
- Textile science and technology – fiber to fabric
- Fashion illustration & design – A mean to express visual concept
- Fabric draping & silhouettes manipulation
- Garment construction & manufacturing
- Pattern making & grading
UID Apparel & Textile Design Career Thought The course offers 2 year rigorous study under the mentorship of experienced faculty, practising in the workshop as well as industry experience which is followed by six month real life industry sponsored research design project. The program will suit the most from fine arts, textile technologists, diploma graduates of recognized design institutes & graduates from relative competent creative field.
At UID, admission into an undergraduate program requires successful completion of -
- Minimum 10+2, higher secondary education with minimum 50 % aggregate score from any recognized higher secondary school board as on date of academic session starting from July 2016.
- Design Aptitude Analysis for Admission is the process of getting admission in any design stream/discipline. Applicants are advised to download the form from the website. The form must be carefully filled in the candidates’ own handwriting supported by related documents of the results.
- In case a candidate is appearing for 12th STD Higher Secondary Exam, related evidence may be attached. All the applicants are advised to bring a Demand Draft of Rs 2000/- along with the application form, the attested documents, a creative portfolio and work to demonstrate their creative skills before the admission jury.
Test date – 7th Feb, 2016
- Minimum 10+2+3/4, bachelor’s education with minimum 50% aggregate score from any recognized Institution or University in the relative area of studies as mentioned in each specialized subject as on date of academic session starting on July 2016.
- Design Aptitude Analysis for admissions is the process of getting entry to any design stream/discipline as per the admission guidelines of UID admission policy. Applicants are advised to download the form from the website. The form must be carefully filled in the candidates’ own handwriting supported by related documents of the results.
- In case a candidate is appearing for 3rd / 4th year of graduation exam, related evidence may be attached. Applicants are advised to bring a Demand Draft of Rs 2000/- along with the application form, the attested documents, and a creative portfolio and work to demonstrate their creative skills before the admission jury.
Test date – 7, Feb, 2016
After scrutiny eligible candidates will be called for creative aptitude analysis test.
Green Design CampusA 34-acres of lush green oasis landscape at S.G Highway provides amiable environment along with creativities and positivity for the students to bring out their best.
Auditorium The campus has fully-equipped ac auditorium having capacity of more than 500 people. Its fully acoustic with modern projectors and digital sound system.
LibraryUID has modern library with a seating capacity of more than 150 students with wifi and computers. Library has more than 10,000 relevant books, research papers, magazines and latest e-study resources.
Sports arenaUID campus has a sports arena for football, cricket, hockey and volleyball. Indoor games facilities include table tennis, pool table, badminton and other activities. For aerobics and yoga, specialized trainer is also there.
HostelWe provide separate hostel facilities for boys and girls inside campus. Hostels are equipped with wifi, 24x7 security, power backup and other amenities. AC and NON AC room facilities are available.
Cafeteria & CanteenCampus is having two food joints apart from a well maintained canteen. Vegetarian healthy food is provided on subsidized rate. Food joints are popular food addas for students catering snacks and coffee.
Stationary ShopStudents can purchase their routine stationery requirements from the in house stationery shop at discounted rates.
Wifi campusCampus is powered by 100 mbps dedicated internet lease line for students. Campus is fully wifi enabled which helps in 24x7 e-learning and other studies of our students.
ConnectivityCampus is strategically located on Gandhinagar -Ahmedabad highway. Public transport is easily available. Infocity, Gift city, Shopping malls, Multiplexes, Restaurants, ATMs, Gym, Hospital, Medical stores and other lifestyle amenities are located nearby.