12 Days Special Crash Course for UCEED entrance 2017.
Admissions to the Bachelor of Design (B. Des) programmes at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati and IIITDM Jabalpur are done through the Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED). Students who have passed Class XII (or equivalent) in 2016 or appearing in 2017 in ANY STREAM (Science, Commerce, or Arts and Humanities), are eligible to appear for UCEED 2017.
UCEED 2017 will be conducted by Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, under the guidance of the UCEED Admissions Committee 2017.
UCEED 2017 is open to all nationals (Indian/Foreign). Candidates seeking admission to the Bachelor Degree programme in Design (B. Des.) at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB), Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG) and Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing Jabalpur (IIITDMJ) must appear in UCEED 2017.
Candidates should note that the mere appearance in UCEED 2017 or being in the rank list neither guarantees nor provides any automatic entitlement to admission. UCEED qualified candidates will have to apply separately for B. Des admissions as per the prescribed procedure described in Part 2 of the Information Brochure. Admissions shall be made in order of merit in each category.
UCEED 2017 score is valid only for admission to the academic year 2017-2018. With regard to the interpretation of the provisions on any matter not covered in this Information Brochure, the decision of the Organizing Institute (IIT Bombay) shall be final and binding on all the parties concerned.
In all matters concerning UCEED 2017, the decision of the Organizing Institute or the Organizing Chairperson, UCEED 2017 will be final and binding on all the applicants.
Although UCEED 2017 is held at different centres across the country, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay is the Organizing Institute and has the overall responsibility of conducting UCEED 2017. In case of any claims or disputes arising in respect of UCEED 2017, it is hereby made absolutely clear that the Mumbai High Court alone shall have the exclusive jurisdiction to entertain and settle any such claims and disputes.
|Start date for Online Application||17 Oct, 2016|
|Last date for Online Application||11 Nov, 2016|
|Last date for Online Application with Late Fee of Rs.500||18 Nov, 2016|
|Start date for Downloading Admit Card||26 Dec, 2016|
|UCEED 2017 Examination||22 Jan, 2017|
|Question Paper & Draft Answer Keys||28 Jan, 2017|
|UCEED 2017 RESULTS||20 Feb, 2017|
|Start date for Score Card downloading||Feb 27, 2017|
|Application for B. Des. programme||June 10-25, 2017|
|Seat allotment round 1
Seat allotment round 2
Seat allotment round 3
|July 4, 2017
July 10, 2017
July 15, 2017
SCHEDULE OF UCEED 2017
UCEED is a centre based, computer based examination of 3 hours duration and will be held as per the following schedule:
Date: Sunday, January 22, 2017
Session 1: 10:00 to 13:00
Session 2 (Reserve): 14:00 to 17:00
Every effort will be made to complete the examination in Session 1. In the unlikely event of any technical problem in any of the exam centres, the exam may be conducted in Session 2, only for those candidates in the affected centres.
Candidates appearing for UCEED 2017 are therefore advised to make their travel arrangements accordingly.
In case the exam is conducted in Session 2, the question paper will be different from that of Session 1, but with the same number of questions, same total marks and with similar difficulty levels, which will be moderated for consistency and parity.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR APPEARING IN UCEED 2017
A candidate, including a foreign national, must fulfil each and every one of the following three criteria to appear in UCEED 2017.
Criterion 1 – Age limit : The candidate should have been born on or after October 1, 1997 if belonging to the OPEN or OBC-NCL category and on or after October 1, 1992 if belonging to the SC, ST or PwD category.
Criterion 2 – Number of attempts : A candidate can attempt UCEED for a maximum of two times and that too in consecutive years. Note that UCEED score is valid for one year, and only for admissions in the corresponding academic year.
Criterion 3 – Qualifying examination : The candidate should have passed the qualifying examination (Class XII or equivalent) in 2016, OR appearing in 2017. Students from ALL STREAMS (Science, Commerce, and Arts & Humanities)are eligible.
Those who appeared for the first time in their qualifying examination in 2015 or earlier are NOT eligible.
The exam will have questions from the following six topics:
Visualization and spatial ability
Pictorial and diagrammatic questions to test: understanding of transformation and/or manipulation of 2D shapes and 3D objects and their spatial relationships; knowledge of practical and everyday mechanical and scientific concepts.
Observation and design sensitivity
Ability to detect concealed properties in ordinary things, people, situations, and events, and thinking critically about them. Applying attention to certain details, analysing, reasoning, classifying, inferring and predicting. Ability to discern subtle differences in visual properties and aesthetic outcomes.
Environmental and social awareness
General awareness of environmental factors such as climate, population, water, vegetation, pollution, weather, natural resources etc., and their implications on the design of products, images, infrastructure and environment. Awareness of social and cultural connection with design, history of the designed artefact, and socially responsible and environmentally sustainable design responses. History of art, sculpture and literature.
Analytical and logical reasoning
Ability to look at information, be it qualitative or quantitative in nature, and discern patterns within the information. Ability to weigh opinions, arguments or solutions against appropriate criteria. Ability to check for hidden bias or hidden assumptions and whether evidence and argument support conclusions. Ability to use logic and structured thinking to deduce from a short passage, which of a number of statements is the most accurate response to a posed question. Data Interpretation, brainteasers, and patterns.
Language and creativity
Ability to understand and use Standard English. Reading comprehension, knowledge of English grammar such as sentence structure and usage, the use of tenses, verb patterns, articles, and active and passive constructions, etc. & vocabulary skills. Ability to think creatively in terms of alternatives, ability to distinguish innovative options and think out of the box.
Design thinking and problem solving
Ability to use visual analogies, metaphors, signs and symbols. Ability to understand complexity, identify problem, generate alternatives, evaluate options and select solutions.
Cities where UCEED 2017 will be held
UCEED 2017 will be held in the following 19 cities in India: Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kolkata, Kozhikode, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, Raipur and Thiruvananthapuram.
Candidates should compulsorily opt 3 cities of their choice, in the order of preference, at the time of online application. Once the application is submitted, request for change of city will NOT be entertained under any circumstances.
If enough number of candidates are not available in a listed city, then that city may be dropped from the final list, and those candidates will be allotted a centre in the city of either their second choice or third choice. Additionally, because of operational contingencies, the UCEED 2017 Committee reserves the right to add a new city/town or remove an existing one and allot a city/town that may not be among any of the choices of a candidate.
A listed city may have more than one examination centre. A request for change of a centre within the same city/town will NOT be permitted under any circumstances.
Application Fee for UCEED 2017
The application fee structure for UCEED 2017 is as following:
|Gen/OBC/OBC-NCL||₹ 2000||₹ 1000||₹ 2000|
|SC/ST/PwD||₹ 1000||₹ 1000||₹ 1000|
NOTE : As per latest order of Supreme Court of India, third gender includes only trans-genders, eunuchs and hijras. Lesbians, gays and bisexuals need to select either Male or Female option as appropriate.
• The application fee shown above DOES NOT INCLUDE processing fees, service and other charges that the banks may levy.
• Detailed instructions related to the payment of application fee are given on the online application form.
- There will be ONE question paper for 3 hours duration.
- The question paper will be in English.
- The question paper will be administered through a computer based test.
- The question paper will carry a total of 300 marks.
- The question paper will consist of 3 sections.
Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions
For these questions, the answer is a number that needs to be entered using a virtual keyboard in the computer screen. No choices will be shown for these questions. Each correct answer will be awarded 4 marks. There is NO NEGATIVE marks for this section. Questions not attempted will be given zero mark.
Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)
Each MSQ has one or more correct answer(s) out of the four given choices. The candidate gets 4 marks only if ALL the correct choices and NO wrong choices are selected. There is NO NEGATIVE or PARTIAL marks for this section. Questions not attempted will be given zero mark.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
Each MCQ has four choices out of which only one is the correct answer. There is NEGATIVE marking for this section. Each correct answer will be awarded 3 marks and each wrong answer will be awarded –1 (minus one) mark. Questions not attempted will be given zero mark.
There could be several reasons for this, including, but not limited to slow internet speed leading to time-outs, bad connection to the payment gateway, conflicting browser settings or browser compatibility. When a payment error occurs, and you are unable to go back to retry payment, make sure you are using the recommended browsers and versions, clear your browser cookies and cache or try using a different browser altogether.
If the problem persists, you can either call us at the contact numbers given in website, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details related to your application (registration number, candidate name and mobile phone number) and describing clearly the nature of the problem. All the problems related to the payment for each and every candidate will be sorted out before the last date of application submission.
Documents Required for Applying for UCEED 2017
Given below is a list of certificates and other documents that are to be uploaded at the time of online application for UCEED 2017. The certificates must be in the Central Government format as given in the appendix.
• A recent colour photograph of full frontal (face) view, with the head centred in the frame covering 70-80% of the photograph and taken within the last six months. The photograph should be such that it allows unambiguous identification of the candidate (only JPEG image formats with file extension .jpg will be accepted).
• Scanned copy of candidate’s full signature on white paper (only JPEG image formats with file extension .jpg will be accepted).
• Qualifying examination certificate (XII marksheet), if appeared in 2016 (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted).
• For candidates appearing in 2017, a certificate from the school/college principal in the given format should be uploaded (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted). The address, email and phone number to be filled in the form are that of the school/college. After you have scanned and uploaded the PDF of Annexure 1, keep the form safe. The same form is to be produced in original, as the photo ID along with the Admit Card at the examination centre on examination day.
• If the name is not same as in the Class XII certificate, gazette notification showing the change of name (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted).
Candidates seeking admission under the OBC-NCL, SC, ST or PwD category
• OBC-NCL, Caste (for SC), tribe (for ST) or PwD certificate issued by a competent authority (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted).
• The OBC-NCL certificate must be issued on or after April 1, 2016 and conforming to the latest guidelines of the Government of India. However UCEED qualified candidates when they apply for for B.Des admissions in June 2017, must submit an updated OBC-NCL certificate that is issued on or after April 1, 2017 and conforming to the latest guidelines of the Government of India. Visit www.ncbc.nic.in for the latest guidelines and updates of the Central List of State-wise OBCs.
PwD Candidates requiring Scribe and/or Extra Time
• Disability certificate issued by a district medical board / competent authority (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted).
Foreign Nationals and PIO/OCI Card Holders
• Nationality Certificate. This could be copy of birth certicate, relevant pages from the passport, or any other official Government issued document certifying candidate's nationality.
• PIO/OCI card holder would have to upload copies of their PIO/OCI document along with their Nationality Certificate (as above).
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Powai, Mumbai 400076