Knitwear Designing dates back to the pages of history. Though earlier it was not much commercialized, nowadays, various brands coming up, and the increase in demand has turned Knitwear designing into a very lucrative career option.
Career in Knitwear Designing
We all remember how our grandmothers used to make intricate designs in their sweaters. According to historian Richard Rutt, knitting started in Egypt around 500 to 1200 years ago. Today, it is a highly profitable industry that has multiple job opportunities.
A knitwear design is a process that involves using wool and yarn to create a finished product. This type of design is usually done with a combination of technology and creativity. Aside from learning about the various aspects of this industry, students can also pursue a career in fashion designing.
What is Knitwear Designing?
The goal of a knitwear design course is to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to make functional and fashionable garments. This course also focuses on learning how to use various equipment and techniques to produce garments.
Due to the rapid technological changes in the fashion industry, it has become more challenging for designers to keep up with the times. This is why, in order to remain relevant, students should focus on developing their own unique skills and knowledge by spinning and weaving their own wool.
One of the most popular courses in fashion design is knitwear design. This discipline is relatively new to the industry and focuses on the production of knitted clothes. Aside from this, it also includes other areas such as sportswear and intimate clothing.
Eligibility Criteria for Knitwear Designing
- The candidate must have passed 10+2 examination from a recognized board from any stream. This can be the Indian School Certificate or the Central Board of Secondary Education.
- The candidate should have a pass certificate and a copy of his/her 10+2 mark sheet. The minimum percentage that the candidate should have to score is 50% for students belonging to the general category.
- The candidate should be below 23 years of age. There is also a relaxation of 5 years for SC/ST candidates and persons with a disability.
Entrance Exams for Knitwear Designing in India
You have to appear for various entrance examinations in order to get admitted into a university for Knitwear Design in India. The score and other criteria used by the university are taken into account to select the student.
- All India Entrance Examination for Design (AIEED)
- Common Entrance Exam for Design(CEED)
- Design Aptitude Test (DAT)
- National Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam(NIFT)
Skills Required for a Knitwear Design
- Although knitwear designing is not a common course, individuals who want to pursue this field need to have a strong interest in fashion and design.
- They must keep up with the latest trends, both incoming and existing.
- Client preferences are known to them. If you want to stand out among the other fast-fashion competitors, you must be inventive.
- Increasing people’s trust in the quality of your patterns
- To expand your client base and boost your firm, you’ll need good communication abilities.
- To make draughts, you’ll need a strong hand with computer-aided design.
- An aspiring Knitwear Designer must have a thorough understanding of color coding, tints, and tones.
Scope in Knitwear Designing Career
The Knitwear industry is currently experiencing a promising future due to the technological advancements and the creativity of its designers.
There are various career opportunities available in this industry for students. Some of these include working in various organizations such as handloom and handicrafts, design studios, export houses, and mills.
The rise of e-commerce has opened up various opportunities for designers. These include working as retailers and buyers.
Through the four years of their studies, students are exposed to the various talents and education of professional designers. They will be able to enhance their technical skills and creativity.
Through their studies, students are also able to work in various categories of knitwear apparel such as men’s wear, women’s wear, and kidswear.
They also gain a deeper understanding of the various resources that are needed to produce a fine garment. Most of the placements in fashion schools are done by private companies and startups.
Career Opportunities as a Knitwear Designer
As knitwear designers, they use various materials and techniques to create fashionable clothes. They can also start their own labels or work for a variety of commercial brands.
They usually work with retailers and buyers to create clothes that are both fashionable and functional. They also conduct workshops and classes in knitting.
The times have changed since the days of sketch pads and shopping carts. Due to the rise of technology, many job opportunities have been created for individuals with different skills and backgrounds. This allows them to work efficiently and effectively.
There are many job opportunities in the knitwear industry due to the increasing popularity of this discipline. It’s also a great opportunity for people of all ages and sizes.
Top Colleges for Knitwear Design
- National Institute of Fashion Technology
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda
- Pearl Academy Rajouri Garden
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- Amity University, Noida
- IIFA Lancaster International Campus
- IIT Bombay
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- MIT Institute of Design
For a long time, knitwear designing has been a part of the fashion industry. The industry has undergone various technological advancements and the youth is now more fixated on this product. People who are interested in becoming knitwear designers should definitely consider this career option.
AFA – Guiding aspirants through their career goal as a knitwear designer
The Academy of Fashion and Art (AFA) is consistently working towards the overall development of an aspirant preparing for fashion and design. Being a creative career requires great skills and a promising interest in learning new, coming up with new and innovative ideas, and creating unique things.
With state-of-the-art infrastructure and implementation of tried & tested teaching methodologies have brought AFA a long way in proving itself to be the best NIFT and NID Coaching institute in India. You must go through the AFA Course Content, NID Entrance Coaching Classes, NIFT One Year Online Classes, so that you can go for the course best suited for you in alignment with your interest, and skill sets.