- For UCEED & B. Des Seat Allocation related inquiries only:
- Address:Chairman, JEE (Advance),UCEED-CEED 2019, IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai – 400 076
- Phone : +91-22-2576-4063/ 9093/ 9094
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.uceed.iitb.ac.in
- For all other information related to the B. Des programmes such as curriculum, course structure, facilities etc., at IIT Bombay , IIT Guwahati , and IIITDM J abalpur or general information related to the institutes, please contact the respective department or institute.
Admissions to the Bachelor of Design (B. Des.) programmes at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati and IIITDM Jabalpur are done through the Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design (UCEED). Students who have passed Class XII (or equivalent) in 2018 or appearing in 2019 in ANY STREAM (Science, Commerce, or Arts & Humanities), are eligible to appear for UCEED 2019.
Part 1 of this Section provides information related to UCEED 2019, and Part 2 provides information related to the subsequent joint seat allocation for B. Des. admissions in the three Participating Institutes for the Academic Year 2019–2020.
|Start date for Online Registration||9th October, 2018|
|Last date for Online Registration with regular fee||9th November, 2018|
|Last date for Online Registration with late fee||16th November, 2018|
|Start date for Admit Card downloading||1st January, 2019 onwards|
|Last date for rectification of discrepancies in the admit card||5th January, 2019|
|UCEED 2019 Examination||Saturday 19th January,
|Release of Draft Answer Key||25th January, 2019|
|Last date for sending Comments about Draft Answer Key||31st January, 2019|
|Declaration of result||1st March, 2019|
|Start date for Score Card downloading||1st March, 2019|
|Application for B. Des. Programme (We have to discussed with Chairs)||8th to 30th June 2019|
|Seat allotment round 1||4th July, 2019|
|Seat allotment round 2||11th July, 2019|
|Seat allotment round 3||15th July, 2019|
UCEED 2019 will be conducted by Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, under the guidance of the UCEED-CEED Implementation Committee 2019.
UCEED 2019 is open to all nationals (Indian/Foreign). Candidates seeking admission to the Bachelor Degree programme in Design (B. Des.) at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB), Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG) and Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing Jabalpur (IIITDMJ) must appear in UCEED 2019.
Candidates should note that the mere appearance in UCEED 2019 or being in the rank list neither guarantees nor provides any automatic entitlement to admission. UCEED qualified candidates will have to apply separately for B. Des admissions as per the prescribed procedure described in Part 2 of the Information Section. Admissions shall be made in order of merit in each category.
UCEED 2019 score is valid only for admission to the academic year 2019-2020.
With regard to the interpretation of the provisions on any matter not covered in this Information Section, the decision of the Organizing Institute (IIT Bombay) shall be final and binding on all the parties concerned.
In all matters concerning UCEED 2019, the decision of the Organizing Institute or the Organizing Chairman, JEE(Advanced), UCEED & CEED 2019 will be final and binding on all the applicants.
Although UCEED 2019 is held at different centres across the country, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay is the Organizing Institute and has the overall responsibility of conducting UCEED 2019. In case of any claims or disputes arising in respect of UCEED 2019, it is hereby made absolutely clear that the Mumbai High Court alone shall have the exclusive jurisdiction to entertain and settle any such claims and disputes.
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay is an institution of national importance established through Acts of Parliament for fostering excellence in education.
The institute is recognised worldwide as a leader in the field of education and research. Reputed for the outstanding calibre of students graduating from its undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, the institute attracts the best students from the country for its Bachelor, Master and Doctoral programmes. Research and academic programmes at IIT Bombay are driven by faculties, who are reputed for their research contributions internationally.
Over the years, IIT Bombay has created a world class educational platform that is dynamically sustained through quality teaching and internationally acclaimed research with excellent infrastructure and the best available minds. The faculty and alumni of IIT Bombay occupy key positions in academia and industry, both in India and abroad, and continue to make a considerable impact in all sections of the society.
Located in Powai, one of the northern suburbs of Mumbai, the residents of the institute reap the advantage of being in the busy financial capital of India, while at the same time enjoying the serenity of a campus known for its natural beauty. Being a fully residential institute, all the students are accommodated in hostels with in-house dining; the campus also provides excellent amenities for sports and other recreational facilities.
B.Des PROGRAMME AT IDC, IIT BOMBAY
Industrial Design Centre (IDC) at IIT Bombay has a well-established Master of Design degree (M. Des) programme in Industrial Design, Visual Communication, Animation Design, Interaction Design & Mobility and Vehicle Design as well as a Ph. D programme in Design.
IDC provides a conducive environment for research, academics and collaborative projects. Supported by excellent research facilities, technical expertise and academic diversity of IIT Bombay, IDC has been involved with various initiatives in all areas of design. The potential for innovation at IDC lies fundamentally in terms of solving real world problems.
From the year 2015 onwards, IDC started offering a four year, eight semester Bachelor of Design (B. Des) programme and a five year, ten semester dual degree B. Des + M. Des programme. However, the option of doing the dual degree B Des + M Des will be available only at the end of the 3rd year. The total number of seats sanctioned for both these programmes is 30. Both these programmes would be credit-based and thus offer the flexibility to progress at one’s own pace. A minimum level of performance is essential for satisfactory progress. The medium of instruction is English. Students admitted to the B. Des programme will not be eligible for branch change to any other undergraduate programmes offered by IIT Bombay at any time during the entire duration of the programme. Read more about IDC at: http://www.idc.iitb.ac.in
DoD, IIT Guwahati
The Department of Design (DoD), one of the thirteen departments at IIT Guwahati, was set up with a vision to enkindle some of the brightest technical minds of the country a passion for innovation in technology driven by firm understanding, appreciation and celebration of design.
The department offers a M.Des. degree, a B.Des. degree and a PhD degree in Design. The focus of the program is on the study, invention, and creative use of technologies to create effective, usable, enjoyable experiences with technology through interdisciplinary research in engineering, design, behavioural and social sciences, and to understand the impact of technology on individuals, groups, and organizations. The department envisions to produce successful graduates who will be capable of leading the changing scenarios of today and tomorrow through thought, innovation and values. Read more about DoD at: http://www.iitg.ernet.in/design
Design Discipline IIITDM Jabalpur
In the Design Discipline at IIITDM Jabalpur, a holistic and all-inclusive philosophy is applied to train human resources the paradigm of Modern Design at Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral level, so as to make them adept designers. The rigorous curriculum, the intense research methodologies, the diligent practice in skills create knowledge based professionals of industrial design and innovation. The modern-age facilities of Rapid Prototyping, 3D scanning, Ultrasonic Plastic Welding, Water-Jet cutting, CNC (Lathe and Milling), Injection Moulding, Vacuum Forming, Laser Cutting, Universal Wood Working, etc. with support staff skilled in wood, metal, polymer, FRPs and composite fabrication provide an incredible hands- on practical training to the students. Read more about Design Discipline at: http://design.iiitdmj.ac.in/
SCHEDULE OF UCEED 2019
UCEED is a test centre based, computer examination of 3 hours duration and will be held as per the following schedule:
|Date||Saturday, January 19, 2019|
|Session||10:00 to 13:00|
Candidates appearing for UCEED 2019 are therefore advised to make their travel arrangements accordingly.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR APPEARING IN UCEED 2019
A candidate, including a foreign national, must fulfil each and every one of the following three criteria to appear in UCEED 2019.
Criterion 1 – Age limit:
The candidate should have been born on or after October 1, 1994 if belonging to the OPEN or OBC-NCL category and on or after October 1, 1989 if belonging to the SC, ST or PwD category.
Criterion 2 – Number of attempts:
candidate can attempt UCEED for a maximum of two times and that too in consecutive years. Note that UCEED score is valid for one year, and only for admissions in the corresponding academic year.
Criterion 3 – Qualifying examination:
The candidate should have passed the qualifying examination (Class XII or equivalent) in 2018, OR appearing in 2019. Students from ALL STREAMS (Science, Commerce, and Arts & Humanities) are eligible. Those who appeared for the first time in their qualifying examination in 2017 or earlier are NOT eligible.
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org).
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School, Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- A Diploma recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education (www.aicte- india.org) or a State Board of Technical Education of at least 3 years duration.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination.
- In case the Class XII examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination earlier.
REGISTRATION FOR UCEED 2019
- Candidates should register for appearing in UCEED 2019. Application can be done ONLY online through the registration portal linked from www.uceed.iitb.ac.in.
- Candidates should satisfy ALL THE THREE eligibility criteria [see 6. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR APPEARING IN UCEED 2019].
- Registration will be cancelled if, at a later date, it is found that the candidate does not meet any of the three eligibility criteria.
- Registration fee is NEITHER refundable NOR transferable.
- It will entirely be the responsibility of the candidate to provide the correct information regarding the qualifying exam and category, and upload the correct documents in the required formats in the registration form. Registration forms, incomplete in any way, will be summarily rejected and the registration will be considered invalid. The admitting institutes have the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of a candidate in accordance with the rules and regulations in force, if it is found that any information provided by the candidate is incorrect or the registration is incomplete.
Detailed instructions for the online registration are provided on the registration portal.
|Online registration portal||www.uceed.iitb.ac.in|
|Start Date||9th October, 2018|
|End Date (with regular fee)||9th November, 2018|
|End Date (with Rs.500 late fee)||16th November, 2018|
Following is the registration fee structure for UCEED 2019.
Given below is a list of certificates and other documents that are to be uploaded at the time of online registration for UCEED 2019. The certificates must be in the Central Government format as given in the appendices below.
- A recent colour photograph of full frontal (face) view, with the head centred in the frame covering 70–80% of the photograph and taken within the last six months. The photograph should be such that it allows unambiguous identification of the candidate (only JPEG image formats with file extension .jpg will be accepted).
- Scanned copy of candidate’s full signature on white paper (only JPEG image formats with file extension .jpg will be accepted).
- Qualifying examination certificate, if appeared in 2018 (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted).
- Candidates who will be appearing in 2019 for the board exam, a certificate from the school/college principal in the given format (Appendix 1) should be uploaded (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted).
- If the name is not same as in the Class XII certificate, gazette notification showing the change of name (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted).
- Candidates seeking admission under the OBC-NCL, SC, ST or PwD category
- OBC-NCL (Appendix – 2), Caste (for SC), tribe (for ST) (Appendix – 3) or PwD certificate (Appendix 4 – 7) issued by a competent authority (only PDF formats with file extension .pdf will be accepted). PwD Candidates requiring Scribe and/or Compensatory Time
- PwD candidates requiring scribe and/or compensatory time (20 min/hr) during the exam need to upload a request letter as per appendix (8 & 9).
- Candidates whose registration is complete in all aspects will be able to download the admit card for UCEED 2019 from the registration portal (www.uceed.iitb.ac.in) from the date specified below.
- The admit card will bear the following details of the candidate: Name, UCEED registration ID, Roll Number for UCEED 2019, photograph, signature, examination schedule, examination centre details and instructions to candidates.
- Candidates should carefully examine the entries in the admit card and in case of any discrepancy, contact the Chairman JEE (Advanced), UCEED & CEED 2019 at IIT Bombay before the specified date via email mentioned in the registration portal.
- In case the admit card is not available for downloading, the candidate should contact the Chairman, JEE (Advanced), UCEED & CEED 2019 at IIT Bombay immediately via email or phone (See contact).
- A printed copy of the downloaded admit card should be produced at the time of examination.
|Portal for downloading admit card||www.uceed.iitb.ac.in|
|Admit card downloading||1st January, 2019 onwards|
|Last date for rectification of discrepancies in the admit card||5th January, 2019|
- There will be ONE question paper of 3 hours duration.
- The question paper will be in English.
- The question paper will be administered through a computer based test.
- The question paper will carry a total of 300 marks.
- The question paper will consist of 3 sections.
Section A: Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions. For these questions, the answer is a number that needs to be entered using a virtual keyboard in the computer screen. No choices will be shown for these questions.
Section B: Multiple Select Questions (MSQ). Each MSQ has one or more correct answer(s) out of the four given choices.
Section C: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ). Each MCQ has four choices out of which only one is the correct answer
- Candidates must carry a printed copy of the downloaded admit card. Only candidates having a valid admit card will be allowed inside the examination centre.
- The candidate’s identity will be verified by invigilators as well as IIT representatives. If the identity of the candidate is in doubt, the candidate may not be allowed to appear for the examination. However, the authorities at their discretion may permit the candidate to appear for the examination after completing certain formalities. No extra time will be allowed for completing the examination in lieu of the time taken for completing these formalities.
- Impersonation in the examination is a serious offence which will result in immediate disqualification of the candidate from UCEED, and lead to criminal proceeding against the candidate.
- Candidates will NOT be allowed to carry any electronic device (mobile phones, smart phones, digital/smart watches, calculators, tablets etc.), abacus, slide rule, log books, study material of any type, geometry box, etc. to the examination hall. A list of forbidden items will be put up on the website before the exam if there are additional items.
- Candidates have to remain in the examination hall for the entire duration of the examination
The exam will have questions from the following six topics:
Visualization and spatial ability:-
Pictorial and diagrammatic questions to test, understanding of transformation and/or manipulation of 2D shapes and 3D objects and their spatial relationships, knowledge of practical and everyday mechanical and scientific concepts.
Observation and design sensitivity:-
Ability to detect concealed properties in ordinary things, people, situations, and events, and thinking critically about them. Applying attention to certain details, analysing, reasoning, classifying, inferring and predicting. Ability to discern subtle differences in visual properties and aesthetic outcomes.
Environmental and social awareness:-
General awareness of environmental factors such as climate, population, water, vegetation, pollution, weather, natural resources etc., and their implications on the design of products, images, infrastructure and environment. Awareness of social and cultural connection with design, history of the designed artefact, and socially responsible and environmentally sustainable design responses. History of art, sculpture and literature.
Analytical and logical reasoning:-
Ability to look at information, be it qualitative or quantitative in nature, and discern patterns within the information. Ability to weigh opinions, arguments or solutions against appropriate criteria. Ability to check for hidden bias or hidden assumptions and whether evidence and argument support conclusions. Ability to use logic and structured thinking to deduce from a short passage, which of a number of statements is the most accurate response to a posed question. Data Interpretation, brainteasers, and patterns.
Language and creativity:-
Ability to understand and use Standard English. Reading comprehension, knowledge of English grammar. Ability to think creatively in terms of alternatives, ability to distinguish innovative options and think out of the box.
Design thinking and problem solving:-
Ability to use visual analogies, metaphors, signs and symbols. Ability to understand complexity, identify problem, generate alternatives, evaluate options and select solutions.
UCEED 2019 will be held in the following 24 cities in India:
Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Dehradun, Delhi, Ernakulum, Panaji, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Lucknow, Kolkata, Kozhikode, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur and Vishakhapatnam.
Candidates should compulsorily opt for 3 cities of their choice, in the order of preference, at the time of online application. Once the application is submitted, request for change of city will NOT be entertained under any circumstances.
If enough number of candidates are not available in a listed city, then that city may be dropped from the final list, and those candidates will be allotted a centre in the city of either their second choice or third choice. Additionally, because of operational contingencies, the UCEED 2019 Committee reserves the right to add a new city/town or remove an existing one and allot a city/town that may not be among any of the choices of a candidate.
A listed city may have more than one examination centre. A request for change of a centre within the same city/town will NOT be permitted under any circumstances.
International Center at Dubai
Candidates opting for Dubai center should also compulsorily opt for 2 cities of their choice from above 24 Indian cities, in the order of preference, at the time of online application. (if number of registrations is less than 25, then the Dubai center may be dropped from the final list, and those candidates will be allotted a centre from the 2 Indian cities of their choice, in the order of preference).
Candidates who are NOT citizens of India at the time of registering for UCEED 2019 (by birth or naturalization) and whose parents are not citizens of India and do not come under PIO/OCI category at the time of registering for UCEED 2019 are treated as foreign nationals. Seats allotted to foreign nationals are supernumerary with a cap of 10% of total available seats in the course. The availability of supernumerary seats will be announced at the time of seat allocation.
The seats allotted to OCI (Overseas Citizen of India)/PIO (Person of Indian Origin) card holders will be under Open category, but not supernumerary. Foreign Nationals and OCI/PIO card holders are outside the ambit of reservations [see 5. RESERVATION OF SEATS].
However, appearing in UCEED 2019 is a must for all candidates for the admission.