So, as all of us know, a portfolio is a compilation of your work, of the things that have inspired you and that which brought you recognition. So, while preparing your portfolio keep the following in mind :
- Include only ‘good’ work. A small portfolio with your best work is better than huge numbers of ok-ish work.
- The viewer does not have time to go through text, so, make the minimum use of text. However, quirky things catch attention, so, play with fonts, make catchy headlines, etc.
- Highlight your pluses. All of us are good at something, maybe sketching/ graphics/ textures, etc. So, highlight it. Tell your client that this is you USP and you are the best at it.
- Show details. It is the most important. People are looking for ones who can work minutely, who are working on detailing. Make sure, you have some of that work in your portfolio.
- Give reasons for things that are not in your hand. But do not get into arguments.
- Carry a smile with you when you enter, it lightens the mood through out !
- If you are good at writing or film making or sports, in anything apart from your field of work, don't be afraid and show your talent, show your certificates in lieu of your claims.
- People are looking for multi-taskers. Show them that you are one!
- Make a portfolio that is not-usual. Everybody has seen those plastic folders. Show them , how it is yours and how is it different.