During the nift situation test, you’ll be given some items for construction (e.g., tape rolls, ice-cream sticks, pins, straws, golden/silver paper, etc.) and a brief, which will be a situation or requirement, according to which you’ll have to design and construct a scene or product or anything they ask for! You will also be required to do a write up for what you have created.
Now, the first think that you should do is to have a plan of action:
- Take 10 minutes, analyse what all materials you have and plan what you have to do !
- Now, do not go for the first idea that struck you, that is usually the most common thing to think of. So think about more options!
- Then work out which will be the most appealing, will be finished in the given time and prove you differentiated thought process.
- Also, try and add some social cause or issue to your ideas, it will be like icing on your cake!
It is very important to use the given materials smartly, you are given limited amount of material. Find out ways of incorporating all materials in your design.
Generally, you are provided with cello tape, 5 straws, 4 tooth picks, 4 thumb pins, a sheet of silver paper, 2 craft papers, ice cream sticks, a pack of clay and a mount board. (These materials are the probable items you are given, however, there is no fixed list and the colleges can change the items provided any time)
- Usually you should not reduce the size of the mount board or use it in the construction as it is meant only for mounting, however, if you wish so, ask the invigilator first, before doing any such thing.
- Plan your time, and keep 30 minutes for the end, for the last touches and the write up.
- Make innovative use of the materials provided. E.g.: break the ice cream sticks to half and make it a fence; if you do not have adhesive, use clay to stick things; etc.
- Do a great write up! As it is very important to describe your great idea so that the examiner knows!
- Do some write ups for expected questions and practice along with.
Usual questions include creating a souvenir, a trophy, an ad, creating a scene(e.g. Mela, school, etc)
This year, there are chances that something about women safety comes as it has been a recent ssue.