Fashion keeps on changing and new evolving fashion replaces the older ones.
This is the work of A Fashion Stylist. Being a fashion stylist gives the individual varied and exciting opportunities to accentuate their creativity in form of :
- styling clothes, dressing up the models events to walk on the ramp,
- photo shoots or advertisements.
- style famous personalities during television shows or movies.
It is the fashion stylist job to give a different look by highlighting the main features of their clients by giving them the proper attire to be worn, combined with accessories, make-up and hair-dos.
The most fascinating attire can flatter an individual’s personality while the opposite can even blow down the image, that is where comes the play of a fashion stylist! They need immense knowledge about the fashion industry and should be highly creative to maintain their position and most importantly, be updated about the current trends and a great insight as to what is suited best on their clients, combining his/her tastes too !
SKILLS REQUIRED :-
- The fashion stylist needs to possess excellent communicating skills to impress the company and the client in the favour of new designs and products designed by stylist.
- Needs to acquire basic computer and reading skills in order to send and receive mails, reply them and read and write to the clients and other marketing officers.
- A fashion professional should be business minded along with the creative knowledge to have good business once the product is launched, for its promotion and increase in demand.
- Skills to determine the demand of the particular product and services by consulting the other marketing people and also by taking the reviews of the people using the product or merchandise.
- To have complete fashion knowledge and creativity to play with different fabrics and materials to create clothing line and accessories. Innovate new stuff which can be liked by public and the demand increases.
- Should have the skill of maintaining interpersonal relations to build a fashion network and attract clients and subordinates in all the ways.
- The skills of knowing the market pricing and accordingly put the price tags to the product for the better and efficient business.
- Needs to do a lot of travelling in search of specific fabrics, to learn and understand different patterns to create exclusive and unconventional designs.
- To rearrange a clients wardrobe with new attractive design and range of accessories and replace all the outdated and other stuff that is not in vogue.
- To work long hours to meet the deadlines of any delivery or particular design or product. The working hours may exceed.
- Keep the market news updated and the upcoming new strategies for the change in pricing or to upgrade new factors and objectives.
- Learn about the sales, purchase and the profit and demand for the type of product required in the market.
- Two years of any degree associated with fashion or fashion merchandising in highly considered.
- But no formal set of educational qualification is required to become a fashion stylist.
- A strong portfolio is required consisting of lot of experience and knowledge regarding the fashion.
- Studies and courses done from reputed institutes or fashion and business schools.
- Local junior colleges are available to take up classes for the sake of knowledge and experience. Training is also given in these institutes.
To be a fashion stylist, you need to be full of ideas, but have a thick skin to cope with angry clients, should be able to work with a range of personalities and professionals (models, photographers etc.) and should not mind working tight.