London fashion is known for its revolutionary nature.
Cultural Influences: London is a city rich in culture. The east London one of the best areas for art galleries, small theatre venues and some interesting museums. The British mentality of being the best prevails & as a fashion capital, Britain stands good to the name.
LONDON: More than 300 languages are spoken in London, more than in any other city in the world. London stands for its cultural heritage & its metropolitan life. London has over 170 meuseums, comedy halls & cinema is an important part, making London a highly intellectual place to be at.
ALEXANDER McQUEEN: The Enfant Terrible of English fashion, McQueen’s collections were famous for being charged with raw emotion & a radical, forward thinking beauty, combining a keen knowledge of bespoken British tailoring with contrasting elements: fragility & strength, tradition & modernity, fluidity & severity. The label is known for its dramatic, gorgeously constructed pieces. Signature looks included billowy dresses cut in hourglass silhouettes, frock coats paired with skinny pants, sharp, angular suiting, and darkly romantic gowns covered in intricate embroidery and lace. McQueen took a lot of inspiration from theatrical costumes. His collections have the determined contemporary nature.
KEY FEATURES: London / Alexander McQueen
- A sincere juxtaposition b/w contrasting elements: fragility & strength, tradition & modernity, fluidity & severity.
- A profound respect & great influence of arts & tradition.
- A ‘punk’ influence & style.
- A very dramatised look. Pertaining to the theatre culture.
- Contrasts such as structure & flow, volume & minimalism.
- Use of the traditional ‘tartan’ checks.
- Importance to the menswear as well.
- The dead & the dark are a big hit for inspirations.