Tokyo fashion is Decondtruction & a new definition of the human form.
Cultural Influences: Japan has been a closed culture. Following its own cultural roots & believes. For years, they did not admit any foreigner into their country. Yet the country moved at a pace fast enough to offer competition to the remaining world.
TOKYO: Tokyo is one of the most influential fashion capitals, because fashion here is very different from what we see in the other parts. A strong influence of origami, folding & layering is what stand it apart. A lot of experimentation with surfaces, not muted or subtle, but bold. Deconstruction is one thing that is in the nerve here. Assymetrical styles, exploring different material formations & combinations define the Tokyo way of fashion. They have found a way to reduce wastage, i.e, using the whole fabric, creating an altogether different style.
REI KAWAKUBO: Rei Kawakubi is one of the most well known fashion brands of Tokyo. She is the founder of the brand ‘Comme de Garson’. Comme des Garçons specialises in anti-fashion, austere, sometimes deconstructed garments. Her study of arts & exposure to textiles, is the base of her brand. An innovative play of textiles, draping around the body and frayed, unfinished edges along with holes and a general asymmetrical shape are some of the essential features. She challenges the established form of beauty in her collections. She is essentially an introvert & believes her designs speak for themselves.
KEY FEATURES: Tokyo / Rei Kawakubo
- An un-ignored presence of black.
- Figure distortions, in the form of add-ons to the human body or elimination.
- A hidden, masked or unusual face.
- Surfaces worked on in different ways of layers, cuts, patches, ornamentation, etc.
- An interesting play of fabrics. At times, use of technical fabrics.
- A play of sheer & opaque. One element quientencial in the Japanese styles.
- Japanese designers see the human body as a canvas & style it according to their sensibilities.
- Unfinished is one word for defining Tokyo fashion.
- More of a conceptual art than what is in vogue.
- Unlike other designers, designers in Japan are more of artists & create what they like.